The Department of Higher Education, Govt. of Assam was created on 16th August/2005 vide Govt. Notification No.AR.49/2005/10 dtd. 16/08/2005 with major thrust in the 3(three) focus areas of access, equity and quality of Higher Education. The Department has taken following major initiatives in the recent years.
- As a measure to improve the overall quality of education, State Govt. has strictly adhered to the UGC/AICTE norms for appointment of College and University Teachers, Engineering Colleges and Polytechnic Institutions.
- Measures have already been taken for periodical training of the teachers working in the Higher Education sector.
- 6 (Six) new State Universities viz. i) Cotton College State University (ii) Bodoland State University (iii) Kumar Bhaskar Varma Sanskrit University (iv) Assam Science and Technology University (v) Assam Women university (vi) K.K. Handique State Open University have been established in the State besides the existing 2(two) State Universities and 2(two) Central Universities.
- Besides these, 12(twelve) Nos of Govt. Model Degree Colleges are being set up in 12 Educationally backward Districts of Assam.
- Similarly State Govt. has also increased the number of Engineering Colleges and Polytechnics.
- In addition to the 4(four)functioning Engineering Colleges viz. (i) Assam Engineering College (ii) Jorhat Engineering College (iii) Jorhat Institute of Science and Technology (iv) Bineswar Brahma Engineering College, kokrajhar, 6(six) new Engineering Colleges are being established which are at various stages of establishment.
- 21(twenty one) new Polytechnics have been added to the existing 10(ten) Polytechnics, viz. (i) Assam Engineering Institute, Guwahati (ii) Assam Textile Institute, Guwahati (iii) Bongaigaon Polytechnic (iv) Dibrugarh Polytechnic (v) Diphu Polytechnic (vi) Prince of Wales Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jorhat (vii) Nagaon Polytechnic (viii) PCPS Girls’ Polytechnic (ix) Residential Girls’ Polytechnic, Golaghat (x) Silchar Polytechnic, Cachar
- 6 (six) Community Colleges have also been developed for skill development as per provision of NSQF. (National Skill Qualification Framework).
This Citizen Charter is prepared with a view to enable the client to avail the services to be provided by the Department.
1)Restructuring Universities for premier Status for global competitiveness.
2) To realize human resource potential of the State with Higher & Technical Education sector with equity and excellence.
1)To establish new professional institutions and strengthen the existing ones.
2) To roll out policies and programmes for encouraging and innovating Government and private Higher Education Institutions, academic reforms and improvement of infrastructure.
- To create better infrastructural facilities and also provide better education in the society.
- Improving access to Higher and Technical Education for making inclusive growth.
- Reorientation of course curriculum and introduction of new courses .
- Faculty Development.
- The Higher Education Department is responsible for coordinating and liasioning activities pertaining to the implementation of the Govt. policies and performances by the Directorate of Higher Education, Directorate of Technical Education, Directorate of Historical& Antiquarian Studies, RUSA and District Gazetter.
- The Department also formulates policy guidelines for proper implementation of education facilities in the State.
- The Higher & Technical Education Department is also responsible for promoting/developing human resources.
- Augmentation and modernization of the existing Higher & Technical Educational institutes.
- Introduction of new and relevant courses.
1.Director of Higher Education
2.Director of Technical Education.
3.Directorate of Historical &Antiquarian Studies
4.Rastriya Uchchatara Siksha Abhijan(RUSA)
6.Students and Faculty of Educational Institutions.
7.Citizens of India.
Approval of Annual State Funded Proposal
Release of Administrative approvals/ sanctions and FOC
Appraisal of State Funded Projects
Approval of Various Policies
Appraisal of implementation of policies
Govt. concurrence / NOC for opening new Colleges/ new courses.
Issuing promotion order/increment
LIST OF PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER:
Demarcation of Area Activities, if more than 1 PIO is there
Dr. Mamoni Bruha, Additional. Secretary
‘C’ Block, 4th Floor, Assam Secretariat, Dispur, Ghy-6
First Appellate Authority
Demarcation of Area Activities, if more than 1 Appellate Authority is there
Smti Krishna Gohain, IAS,
GRIEVANCES AND REDRESS MECHANISM:
Grievances may be lodged at website of Public Grievances portal
Grievances may also be submitted in plain paper to:
Shri Simanta Das, ACS
Deputy Secretary to the Govt of Assam
Higher Education Department.
Assam Secretariat, Block’C’ Ground floor
If not satisfied they may write to next higher authority to :
Smti. Anjali Saikia Baruah, ACS
Joint Secretary to the Govt. of Assam
Education (Higher & Technical) Deptt.
Block ‘C’, Ground Floor, Assam Secretariat, Dispur, Guwahati-781006.
Assam Secretariat, Block’C’ Ground floor
Expectations from Citizens/ Complainants :
- Submission of complete, exact and factual grievances preferably by giving telephone No./email ID for follow up.
- It is expected that clients also fulfill certain obligations such as submitting all necessary documents at the time of submitting proposals.
The Principal Secretary/Commissioner & Secretary/ Secretary/ Joint Secretary/ Under Secretary and Superintendent along with other supporting Staff.
List of Rules, regulations, instructions, manuals, and records for discharging functions:
- Assam Education Service Rules 1982
- Assam Education Service (Amendment) Rules,2009.
- Assam Technical Education Service Rules 1981
- Assam Technical Education Service (Amendment) Rules 2008
- The Assam Non-Government College Management Rules – Now called The Assam Provincialised College and Assam Non-Government College Management Rules 2001.
- The Assam College Employees (Provincialisation) Act 2005, (Amendment) Act,2010,
- The Assam Venture Educational Institutional (Provincialisation of Services) Act,2011, Amendment 2012
- Gauahti University Act,1947 and as amended
- Dibrugarh University Act.
- The Assam Private Universities Act,2007
- Bodoland University Act,2009
- The Assam Science and Technology University Act,2009
- The Assam Women University Act,2013.
- Cotton College State University Act,2011
- G.C. Regulation.
- I.C.T.E. Notification
- Assam Rules of Executive Business,1968(amended up to 31st March 2006)
- Manual of Office procedure, Secretariat,1981
- Assam Fundamental Rules and Subsidiary Rules.
- Assam Financial Rules.
- Financial Responsibility and Budget Management Act.2005
- Delegation of Financial Power Rules,1999
- Assam Contingency Manual
- Assam Services(Discipline and Appeal ) Rules,1964
- Hand Book of General Circular,1995 Volumes-I&II
- Assam(Civil Services)Conduct Rules,1965
- Assam S.C.& S.T.(Reservation Vacancies and post) Act.& Rules 1978
- Right to Information Act,2005 and Rules framed there under
- Assam Right to Public Service Act.2012 and Rules framed there under.
- The Rules of procedure and conduct of business of Assam Legislative Assembly
The Citizen Charter will be reviewed annually. Any suggestion in this regard may be sent to Smti. Krishna Gohain, IAS Secretary to the Govt. of Assam, Higher Education Department.
Email ID of Higher & Technical Education Department: